Sunday, 20 October 2013

Napkin rings

These are the simplest of all Christmas Decorations to make and the most cost effective.  You can buy wooden rings for altering at around the £2 each mark but unless you want to keep them forever you can easily use toilet rolls like I have.  If you’re worried about hygiene use kitchen roll and cut to size or unravel them before placing them in the bathroom {yes that’s me ahem} and use the tubes that way.





Cut the toilet rolls in half and cut a sheet of paper {I used a 12x12} slightly wider than the toilet roll into a 12inch long strip.  Now slowly using either pva or glue gun glue, glue the paper around the toilet roll, you may need to peg it in place until the glue sets.  Repeat this for however many you require. 



Once the glue has dried you can trim off the excess.  Now you’re ready to decorate.  I’ve chosen a plain ribbon because I know some of my guests have dexterity issues and wont be able to manage with anything too fiddly.  I adhered my ribbon around the middle of my napkin ring keeping it flat but you could tie a bow or even add a stamped image etc to the top side of your napkin ring.  Personally I like the idea of adding a fancy border either side, this could be simply done using a die cut border.  Again the way in which you decorate is only limited to your imagination and resources.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely idea. As you say, it's a cost effective way to make something unique that will fit in with your colour scheme for when you want to use them.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave constructive criticisms and links to websites/tutorials where I can learn to do things better