Sunday, 25 August 2013

Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam

Hey everyone, sorry to say it's back to me this week.

To make this you will need:

800g rhubarb trimmed and chopped
500g strawberries hulled and halved if large
juice of 2 lemons
1.2kg of Jam sugar

Method

Pop the sugar and fruit with the lemon juice in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave for at least two hours but I prefer over night to allow it to macerate.
When ready place all the ingredients into the stock pot or jam pan and slowly heat to melt the sugar then bring to the boil and keep boiling for at least 15 mins, after this you can test for a setting point at regular intervals.

You will know you have a setting point when you take a teaspoon of the jam and place it on a plate, the jam will move like skin if you press it when the setting point has been reached.

If a white scum has appeared on the jam remove this and bottle in warm jars and seal immediately.

This Jam will keep for a year and tastes delicious on scones, bread and butter, in cakes or anyway you chose to eat it so it makes the perfect gift.  Personally I am not a jam fan but I fully admit I do love this jam.




1 comment:

  1. Such simple ingredients. I had no idea. This looks beyond delicious. I love Jam on any kind of bread. YUMMMMM. I may just have to try this. (If I die of botulism, it'll be on your hands) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave constructive criticisms and links to websites/tutorials where I can learn to do things better