Saturday, 31 August 2013

Decorative lantern

This is a beautiful but quite complicated piece to make.  I bought the instructions and template from  cut and craft  but should warn you it is advisable if you don’t download them that you photocopy as it took me several attempts of some pieces before I got it accurate enough to make the actual part.  The instructions are ok but I personally found I had to read them a couple of times, but that is probably because I didn’t read them through before starting and tried guessing at the next steps. 

The only thing you require for this project is strong Double sided tape, scissors, a craft knife and lots of patients.  I will display pics of the lantern as it progressed. 

There are poinsettias included in the templates but I’d have enough of cutting by then and chose to die cut mine and then coloured them with pro-markers and added glitter.  I stamped the holly and cut it painstakingly out.  For me the final touches of detail are always the best as those are the bits I enjoy the most, I’ve also strategically placed them so that they cover my poor cutting or gluing. 

The shapes are fairly easy when you think about it reflectively, the stand it's hung in is merely a few triangular prisms and octagonal? My maths including shapes is awful sorry! sections with a few flaps to glue together to make the shapes, this is the easiest bit.  However the lantern roof is slightly more complicated but again as soon as you see the shape you will know how it fixes together.  What's difficult is working out how to hold things together whilst glue dries and which way around the shapes go.  I realise that the price means it is a considered purchase but one that is well worth it.  This isn't my first template and I do admit to loving all the ones I have used.  

Sorry there are a lot of pics, but I wanted to show as many stages of this project as possible.


























13 comments:

  1. Nicky Hutchinson31 August 2013 at 21:28

    This looks really great, noted your comments about the instructions, please please always feel free if you have any suggestions on how we can improve templates/instructions, to let us know, It's my aim in life to sell people products they can really use. I love the colours you have done it looks really wonderful.

    Nicky
    Cut and Craft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicky, I have two suggestions, shorter sentences, I can't read long paragraphs and remember it but that could just be my lack of memory and secondly can the flaps for gluing be bigger? I have fat fingers which make it difficult to fold and hold the small ones...otherwise it's perfectly fine, it's a gorgeous template and I'm thrilled I persevered with it.

      Delete
  2. I will certainly take that on Board, its always nice to hear how we can improve things, I will try to increase the flap sizes but sometimes I am a bit stuck as if I make the tabs bigger the shapes won't go together - but all feedback whether good or bad is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now you have explained it makes perfect sense, does the thickness of the card matter? I was using very thick card, wonder if that's why it didn't stay scored and wanted to find it's natural fold?

      Delete
    2. Oh and incidentally I have NEVER had any problems with any other templates they are all fantastic.

      Delete
  3. Sal this is gorgous well done on completing it, pride of place this christmas me thinks

    Hugs J xxx
    Stamping Dragon Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sal this is fab hun def a huge project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sal this is fab hun def a huge project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sal this is fab hun def a huge project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sal this is fab hun def a huge project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Sall its gorgeous hun, you've done a fab job and id definitely like to try this myself. thanks for showing us. Hugs Tina xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave constructive criticisms and links to websites/tutorials where I can learn to do things better