325g self raising flour (sifted)
250g softened butter250g castor sugar175g ground almonds1 lemon juice, and rind4 eggs
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until pale,
- Add the eggs, flour, lemon juice, lemon rind and ground almonds, mixing thoroughly.
- Place the mixture into a 8in greased and floured cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 150oC/300oF/gas mark 2 for one hour or until springy in the middle when pressed.
- Leave on a wire rack to cool.
To Decorate the cake you will need
150g dark chocolate;
1.5 tbsp water
-Melt all the ingredients
- Pour chocolate icing over top of cake; smooth. Leave to set. Remove paper.
- There should be a good covering of chocolate on the cake.
Then decorate with Marzipan fruits, you can either buy these or make them yourself.
I've lost my photo of mine so this image is courtesy of Google.
- 2 eggs
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 300 g grated carrots (grated weight)
- 100 g raisins
- 75 g pecans or walnuts chopped (optional)
- 180 g Wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 pinches salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbinate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
Method1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2. Oil and line a 13 x 23cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. For the carrot cake: beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the oil, brown sugar, grated carrot, raisins and chopped nuts.
3. Sift in the rest of the dry ingredients and bring the mixture together using a wooden or large metal spoon until well combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smooth the surface and bake in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin for about five minutes before removing. Cool completely on a wire rack.
I always use plain buttercream for the frosting but you can use a cream cheese frosting if you wish.
I also made my own carrots to decorate the cake but if you are using this as your Christmas Cake I suggest making little Christmas shapes, stockings, holly leaves etc.