Sunday, 24 February 2013

Canvas

Hello, and welcome to another week at the Christmas Preparations blog.  I am afraid I have slipped a little this week and cannot bring myself to give this one away so it's on my kitchen wall, however it would make the most awesome present too.

Shelley very very kindly had a cyber craft session with me last week and offered to teach me some new techniques for which I am eternally grateful as I know how useful they will be.  However before I share with you all her amazingness when it comes to craft I do want to say a special thank you to Shelley because I'm deaf and although we skyped Shelley remembered that typing conversation is important so I can keep up and understand all that is going on, nobody has ever remembered or made that kind of effort with me before and it still makes me cry with happiness that someone is that thoughtful so THANK YOU Shelley.

Ok so although I've worked on canvas before I haven't really known what I was doing and would NEVER have managed to do anything like this.

For this project you will need:


  • Gesso
  • Acrylic paint
  • Canvas
  • Printed image
  • Printed text, making sure it's a mirror image and backwards.
  • Paintbrush
  • a small bottle to spray water from
Here's how to make your canvas

  1. Mix the gesso with the choice of colour paint you wish to use as your background and paint your canvas
  2. Leave this to dry, it may take a while so be patient, if you're using a heat gun be careful mine bubbled in places
  3. Print your image and text
  4. Cut your image and text out leaving as little 'white' as possible
  5. When dry sketch roughly around your picture on the canvas making sure you have it image facing down
  6. Paint inside the sketched area with white gesso and on the image {yes really paint over the image} and text with gesso
  7. Lay this on the canvas making sure there is no air bubbles and leave to dry overnight
  8. Spray the 'paper' where your text and image is with a little water and gently rub away the paper leaving your image and text visable.
  9. Your canvas is complete all that's left is for you to bear to part with it come Christmas.
Here's my Canvas


3 comments:

  1. This is lovely I bet it looks great on your wall. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, girls!! Teamwork is wonderful and amazing friends are even better! Love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I love it, I have to try it when I got time
    hugs
    Ildiko

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave constructive criticisms and links to websites/tutorials where I can learn to do things better