Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Advent Calender

Advent Calenders are around very early in shops and are one of the first things used/thought of during the build up to Christmas.  A chocolate one can be as cheap as chips or expensive, however recently there has been an increasing number of 'gift' advent calenders.  Most are directed at children with playmobile or lego hidding behind each door.

This week we will take you through making your own advent calender. Mine is a bought 'box' one.  I got this from Cuddly Buddly but most good craft stockiest will have them! This project may take you a week or more to complete so be prepared to have somewhere to 'leave' it to dry.

Here's how to make it:

First gesso your boxes...this is a primer and will allow you to cover the cardboard coloured boxes in whatever you choose to decorate them with. This shouldn't take long to dry as it will be a very thin layer of gesso.  Remember to do the inside of your boxes once they are dry.

Next decorate your boxes, I chose to paint most of mine green using acrylic paints. You can use decopage papers, paint, ink, anything you like.  I've used green acrylic paint for the majority of mine and papers for some just because I got 'carried away' and wanted to try something different but when it came down to it I preferred the 'tree' look.  This may take some time to dry so you'll have to be patient with it. Remember to do the inside of your boxes once they are dry. {I choose to do the inside of my boxes a different colour but you can use the same inside and out if you want them to coordinate}.

Whilst I was waiting for it to dry I stamped and coloured lots of baubles then painstakingly cut them out...however if you have the necessary equipment I highly recommend using a die cut machine and 'decorative' paper of your choice for the baubles.

Once the paint was dry I used a black stazon ink pad and stamped 'branches' all over the outer and inner boxes.  I then added the baubles to make the tree shape look more like a Christmas tree.  The shape of your chosen calender will determine the way in which you choose to decorate your calender.

Once the small boxes were dry I painted on the 24 numbers and left them to dry.

With everything dry all that remains is to find little gifts to put inside...you can use chocolates or buy keyrings and little gifts for each day.  However it is also possible to watch this blog and see how many things you can make that would also fit inside your advent calenders...{hint jewellery for girls will fit nicely in those boxes}.

Here's some pics of the one I made:













2 comments:

  1. I've just bought a quilted one that has small pockets for gifts for a bargain £3 or I would be doing this....Mgt.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is such a nice idea. Thank you so much for the step by step information. very easy to understand and your work is gorgeous!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave constructive criticisms and links to websites/tutorials where I can learn to do things better